Thursday, October 26, 2006

Day one and night in Positano




While exploring the fantastic villa Adam and I climbed a set of steps up onto the roof and were treated to fantastic 360 degree views of Positano and the moon rising over a nearby village called Priano on a headland that separates Positano from Amalfi. Sheila was caught up by our excitement and mounted the steps to the roof. Vertigo quickly took Sheila’s breath away and I helped her back to the patio with its surrounding walls that were only a metre high but gave a sense of safety.
The next photos are of the moon rising over Priano:









We showered, got changed then walked, via many narrow passageways and sets of steep stairs to a restaurant with tables set next to the road side and thankfully started pre-dinner drinks about 2130. I was feeling exhausted and did not feel much like eating any dinner, but I managed. After dinner Sheila and I hailed a taxi being driven past our table and flopped on the back seat, glad that we were not having to walk back up the very steep hills to the villa. Being a one-way road through Positano we had a quick trip through the rest of Positano and around the back road to the villa. The fare for the 2 or 3 kilometre trip was 15 Euro or about Australian $32, which Sheila and I thought was exorbitant, though we were glad to get back to the villa and fall into bed. It was the first and last time that we hired a taxi in Positano.
Sunday 3rd September 2006
I was woken about 0645 by the peel of church bells alerting the faithful to their religious obligations; I decided that my devotions would be satisfied in the kitchen and I had breakfast on mine own about 0710 while everyone else had a sleep in. It was a few hours before the others caught up, Adam and Rosalind’s tardiness did not surprise me when I heard that they had not returned to the villa until 0400, as they had stayed on at the restaurant and then discovered a bar and the delights of Limón cello.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home