Saturday, October 28, 2006

2nd Day and night in Positano

While the others stayed in bed I decided to go down town to see if I could get one of my camera memory cards transferred to a compact disc and also fix a problem with another disc which appeared to have a problem, I suspected another ‘duff’ stick, but operator error was always a possibility.
I walked up to the top of the road where there was a bus stop and boarded an ‘orange’ bus that was the Positano Internal bus that just does a circuit of the village.

It cost one Euro and I got off at the central square in the lower town and quickly got directions to a shop that might be able to provide the service that I was seeking. It was about 100 metres uphill from the bus stop and fortunately the young lady looking after the shop spoke very good English, and for 5 Euros she transferred my photos onto a disc and also sorted out the problem with the other camera memory card. It was operator error, I had never noticed that there is a small plastic tab that can slide along the edge of the memory card and effectively lock the card. The young lady just flicked the tab back and I was able to delete all the old ‘China’ trip photos and use it for the many that I would take over the next week.
I walked back to the square and after a few minutes boarded the ‘Positano Interno’ bus to take me back to the top of the town and the villa. I used the same bus ticket for the return trip and felt very pleased with my little solo adventure. I tried to use a single bus trip to include a return trip on a few more occasions, but without any success.
When I got back to the villa everyone else was just starting to move and slowly get their breakfasts. About 1100 I sat down in one of the sitting areas and relaxed on a sofa while reading one of the books that we brought with us: ‘Eleven on Top’ a Stephanie Plum novel by Janet Evanovich. They are a great series and this one did not disappoint me.
I fell asleep on the couch and then decided to go through to my bedroom and have a proper siesta. It lasted until 1600; Sheila had been waiting for me to wake, while Adam and Rosalind had already gone down town.
Sheila and I decided that we would also go down town and get some late lunch. We took the ‘orange’ bus, and then walked from the square down to the main beach area. On the way we stopped and had coffee and tuna with tomato, rolls. The crazy system of queuing to select what you want, then queuing to pay for what you have selected, followed by queuing again to hand over your receipt in exchange for the goods you wanted DRIVES ME MAD!
It was mayhem getting a bus back because of the crowds waiting who have no idea about orderly queuing and this was my first failure in my attempts to use the same bus tickets for a round trip.
When we got back to the villa Adam had his computer up and running through a telephone point in the kitchen and it was hooked into the net. I was most impressed as I have often had problems trying to get internet connections when I have been overseas.
I took the opportunity to view some of the ‘Rome’ photos that I had transferred to a compact disc and I was happy with most of them.
Adam fixed some ‘gin and tonics’ and large slices of local bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. We took them up to the balcony outside their bedroom and ate and drank under the light of another spectacular silvery moon. While we had our ‘nibbles’ we saw a small fireworks display being conducted in the hill above Positano. The sound echoed around the hills making them far noisier than one would expect. We walked down the road and some of the shortcut steps to a series of outdoor restaurants. The steps were agony for Sheila’s knees and it was the last time that Sheila and I used them to descend into the town. The restaurant we used was called the ‘Golden Saracen’ and the meal was good although the menu range was limited. We all walked back together along the road which took longer but was less stressful. Adam and Rosalind were the first to go to bed about 2300, with Sheila and I going to bed about 2330.

To be continued

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home